Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I have strange taste in music. If I were a Deejay, Ethel Merman would be heavy in rotation. So would Lerner and Loewe (look it up. I dare you.).

With that said, I also love me some Prince (and the Artist formerly known as). But I hate going to big concerts (except for Madonna at Madison Square Garden). So when Marco surprised me with tickets to last night's Prince concert here in Rome, I was on the fence.
At first glance, he looked very much like Little Richard and I felt very much like my parents going to see an icon past his prime. (My 'rents saw a fat Elvis.)
But seeing an icon (that's right- I said icon. twice.) after his prime is both a bit sad and a little inspiring.
Sad because the production value nor the turn out was not what it used to be.
Inspiring because after many years he can still shake that tiny ass, hit those high notes, whale on that guitar and gather a crowd that adores him and his music.

The concert brought me back to my youth, (which in turn only made me feel old) to a time when asymmetrical haircuts were cool and Purple Rain reigned supreme on my walkman (Sorry Ethel 1984 was all about the mini man from Minneapolis). For his final (and only) costume change, Prince came out wearing a sequined tunic. I think he borrowed it from Liza Minelli (who I also adore).

I happened to sit next to the only teenager in the stadium. His parents brought him along and while he was mortified by the two middle aged men in front of us, I was awestruck by both their passion for the dance and their lack of ability slash rhythm. They shimmied and shook like only 50 year old pear shaped men with a reckless disregard for decorum can. They were awesome. Prince was awesome.
And Marco was awesome buying me the tickets.

NOTE: If you also have strange musical taste... but would like to improve it OR you have great taste in music but are always looking for something new- check out this amazing blog: http://www.4adfan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment